This blog is excerpted from 4 Key Considerations When Planning Your Windows 10 Migration.

Windows 7 End Of Life Is Drawing Near. 

What if we told you the average cost of a security breach is $3.68M*?  If you’re still using Windows 7 in 2020, it is highly likely you could be a victim of such a breach.

Despite Microsoft’s announcement that it will extend support through 2023, continuing to use the outdated OS at end of life can be costly –- both in terms of added operational and data security risks, and increased fees.  

So, where are you in your Windows 10 migration planning?  

If your answer is “Nowhere,” don’t panic. We’ve created a content series called Seamless Migration to Windows 10 to get you moving in the right direction with the insights you’ll need. Let’s get into it now… 

4 Key Considerations When Planning Your Windows 10 Migration. 

A great way to begin planning your migration is by considering the impacts and implications that the following factors will have on the project:

  1. Application Compatibility 
  2. Hardware Compatibility 
  3. User Acceptance
  4. User Data

Today, we will cover the first of these, Application Compatibility. The other three factors will be addressed in subsequent blogs.   

First Up:  Application Compatibility 

Take a moment to reflect on the multitude of applications that exist in your environment — everything from installed software used throughout your extended organization to application packages (MSIs and APP-Vs) to every application that all your users may have downloaded over time.  

Only when you have a clear picture of everything that’s being used in your environment will you be able to thoroughly test application compatibility.  

80% of Application Compatibility Concerns can be Addressed with Microsoft ACT 

Fortunately, you can test the compatibility of your applications using a free tool from Microsoft called Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT), which is part of the Windows 10 Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK). ACT can help evaluate your IT estate both before and after upgrading to assess software and hardware compatibility against the current release of Windows 10. 

The key tool within ACT, the Compatibility Administrator, provides updates to many Windows applications by leveraging an extensive built-in application list. There’s a high probability that if there is an application you need to run within Windows 10, the Compatibility Administrator knows what is needed to make it work. The tool also provides shims you can apply to applications to make those applications run in Windows 10. 

What About The Other 20% Of Applications? 

Leveraging tools like Microsoft’s ACT is a great way to remove upwards of 80% of your application compatibility concerns. But what about the other 20% — the stuff that falls through the cracks? That’s where application smoke testing comes in.  HMB’s experienced team can help you rapidly and thoroughly test your applications to ensure successful functionality. 

Understanding your current environment’s compatibility status with Windows 10 is only part of the process. You’ll also need to dig deeper into areas like application consolidation, OS imaging, deployment planning and end-user engagement which are all vital to ensuring a successful migration.

Coming Soon  

In our next blog, we’ll address the second of four key considerations for your Windows 10 migration, Hardware Compatibility… But you don’t need to wait. Download the entire brief now.


*IBM, 2018 Cost of a Data Breach Study by Ponemon,